Youth Group meets Sunday evenings 4:00-5:30 p.m.
Due to space and time challenges, our high school youth group meets on Sunday evenings from September through May. There is no youth group on the first Sunday of the month, as youth are encouraged to attend worship together that day.
Special programming for Senior Youth: Our Whole Lives (OWL)
Used across the country in Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ churches, this lifespan sexuality education curriculum is based on four primary goals:
- To provide accurate, developmentally appropriate information
- To increase self-esteem and understand relationships with and responsibilities toward others
- To develop interpersonal skills, including communication, decision-making and problem-solving
- To teach responsibility for personal health and safety
Social Justice Opportunities
- Bring Your Weight in Food Drive - September 2015. This congregation-wide event is supported by the Senior youth group, who collect and deliver all of our collections each year.
- Weekend service work at H.O.M.E. in Orland, ME each year our Senior Youth travel to Orland for an overnight trip to help this grassroots organization assemble holiday wreathes they use as a major fundraiser. Our group brings along loads of donations of clothing, blankets, and food to support this struggling near-by community, and in addition to making wreaths, youth are kept busy organizing supply closets, stacking fire wood, and doing other odd jobs.
Summer Service Learning
Our Senior Youth group engages in many service opportunities and fundraiser throughout the year including a bi-annual group service learning trip. These projects and trips contribute to creating lasting bonds among our young UU’s and encourages them to get involved in service areas important to them and to the community.