Preschool and Elementary Children
With few exceptions, children at South Church begin Sunday mornings in the Sanctuary with their families to share in the opening words, chalice lighting, and Story for All Ages. Following the Story for All Ages, our children are sung out of worship to attend Religious Education classes downstairs. Parents should escort their children to their classrooms, sign them in, and may then return to the sanctuary for the remainder of worship.
Our Pre-Kinder (mostly 4 year olds) and Kindergarten classroom uses Spirit Play, a Montessori approach to religious education that invites children to explore life’s big questions through stories, “wonderings,” “work” (activities) and songs.
Theme-Based Workshops are offered for 1st-5th grade at both the 9am and 11am worship services.
Special Programming for Children
- Our Whole Lives – This lifespan sexuality education program is used across the United States in Unitarian Universalist churches. Five levels of age-appropriate curricular materials are available for kindergarteners through adults. Our RE program offers the following three classes: 5th grade, 7th grade, and 10th-11th grade(biannually). Advanced registration is required, and parents are required to attend a parent meeting for each class.
- Families Tuugether – Open to children 8 months through Sixth grade, Families Tuugether is a popular program for families of young kids; an opportunity for parents to reconnect and to recharge. Offered monthly during the church year starting in October, children are dropped off at South Church at 4:30pm with a potluck dish to share (Ready to serve, please.), and parents head up to the sanctuary for a short group gathering before heading out to enjoy some quite time. Children will strengthen friendships, enjoy a movie, and play fun games. Parents return to get their child no later than 8pm. Please note: Families MUST RSVP if they plan to come to this event, so that we are able to meet the staffing needs. Program is be closed after 25 children register, to ensure we have a safe and fun event. See the calendar for upcoming dates.
- Sparks – Is a social group for Fifth and Sixth grade students which meets on first Fridays most months for fun and engaging activities. The group participates in activities like a bowling night, mini-golf, a game night at the church, ice cream social, etc. The intention is to offer participants a chance to socialize and get to know one another better outside of our Sunday morning programming. Registration is required.
Social Events for Children and Families
- All Church Picnic in September
- Halloween Social on Halloween night
- Holiday Celebration in December
- Spring Pancake Breakfast on Palm Sunday
- Occasional Friday FUUN Nights: First Friday Potluck/Games Nights and Third Friday Film Nights
- Other events are scheduled throughout the year. Keep an eye out for them in the Nuusflash
All classrooms in the Religious Education program are supported by safe-congregation screened adults, trained in our teaching program, and guided by the Director of Religious Education and the ministers at South Church. For more information about our program, contact Kirsten Hunter, Director of Religious Education at Kirsten@southchurch-uu.org or 603.436.4762 ext. 3